Are Green Potatoes Poisonous?

8

8 Answers

I. CLINE Profile
I. CLINE answered
Yes, a green potato skin is toxic and ingestion thereof may cause one to become ill if enough is eaten at once or over a length of time.My husband and I married a little over 4 years ago. When I was introduced to his home, he had 4 or 5 potatoes in a dish sat out on his counter underneath a window. I was to cook dinner. I informed him about green potatoes. This was our first argument! Our second argument was over placing the potatoes in the fridge. Said he'd never heard of such practice. Maintained it changed the taste of the potato. He finally gave in when I asked him: Haven't you ever heard about cold storage?Now, when he puts away the groceries, the potatoes go in the storage bin in the fridge! Exposure to light in the store can and does cause the skins to turn green. When you peel the green off, you peel away the basic nutritious part of the potato. This does not address the issue of a baked potato with the skin intact.Sometimes you can dig down through the pile in the store display case and find those who have not been exposed as long as others. Look for and demand potatoes that are not green. Pilgrim30
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
It is true that green potatoes are toxic and you should always peel the green part of the potato. The potatoes become green when they are exposed to light, the parts that are not green show that the potatoes are not completely into the soil. Their exposure to the light produce toxins in them. These toxins can interfere with your nervous system causing hallucinations and convulsions.

potatoes

New York Times
Jamie Getty Profile
Jamie Getty answered
People shouldn't post unless they know what they are talking about. Green potatoes are in fact poisonous. I encountered this problem last night.
Just so everyone knows I went to the hospital last night from eating a slightly green baked potato. Ive eaten baked potatoes all my life (have an obsession actually) so I am not allergic by all means. But, this potato definitely affected me. My symptoms were I almost fainted, loss of breath, my throat somewhat swelled, and I was very dizzy. It is now day 2 and I am extremely weak can barely walk up the stairs because I get dizzy. I am a 21 year old female. The last thing I ate before this was a bagel and cream cheese. I read that if you do get poisoned from a potato it will happen instantly and it happened within 5-10 minutes. Very scary.
So if you encounter a green potato whether you are baking it or something else throw it away... I went online to see if it was poisonous and all I got were "no it will be fine" and so I ate it and suffered the consequences.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Yes they are poisonous, however you also should not keep them in the fridge because it converts the starches within the potatoes into sugars.  Therefore it can increase the amount of sugar they contain, which could lead to higher levels of a chemical called acrylamide when the potatoes are baked, fried or roasted at high temperatures
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Yes, green potatoes are poisonous. They contain a toxin called solanine. Solanine is a nerve toxin that interferes with the body's mechanism to use a particular chemical that facilitates impulses to flow between cells. Intake of solanine in large quantity might cause symptoms like vomitting, diarrhoea and headache.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
You should always peel the green part of potato.  I'm not sure if they are actually toxic, but it will rule out any problems.  It's not that difficult to peel the potatoes anyway.

Layla

Answer Question

Anonymous