It is quite hard tricky to determine the type of wood a furniture is made of. But here are some of the basic ways to know and help you in identifying wood.
1. It is necessary to be certain that furniture is actually a solid wood or if it is a man-made composite that is created to imitate wood.
2. You have to look for the growth rings. This is what determines the age of a tree as it is formed by the tree's yearly growth. If you see an end-grain it is a proof that your furniture is indeed made of genuine wood.
3. Another feature to look out for is the venneer or a repeating grain pattern.
4. Next one is the grain color. However, some wood when exposed mostly by outside elements can turn into a darker shade or even lose color due to age.
5. Texture also gives away the type of wood. If it is perfectly smooth and has no grain indentation, it might probably one f the softwoods. But if it has an open pore structure it is most likely to be hardwoods such as oak, maple or mahogany. It is has a curly grain it can be birch or cherry.
6. You also must consider the hardness, thickness and weight of the wood. Since these features can help you in comparing the density of wood and examine the overall characteristic of it.
Hope this helps.