How Much Power Comes Through A Standard Wall Outlet In A US Home (not The Larger, Appliance Outlet Used By Dryers), In Volts And Amps. And How Much Does It Fluctuate?


2 Answers

Rena Chisholm Profile
Rena Chisholm answered
110 volts goes through a standard wall plug, but I don't think the person sucking the frosting off the beaters would get any shock because the inner workings of the blender absorbs the electricity. Unless maybe there is a short in the blender wiring.
Probably have a mangled up tongue though if they turned the blender on with their tongue stuck to it.
thanked the writer.
Asuka Jr.
Asuka Jr. commented
Thank you for your reply... However, I'm afraid you misunderstood, so I'll re-clarify:

1. As I put in my question, I am also looking for Amperage... I'm aware of the 110v, but do not know at what amperage it's coming through. And...

2. The blender in question is a hand-held mixer that has a cord that actually disconnects from the mixer entirely, for both ease of cleaning, and ease of replacement. The story related to me was of a woman using such a mixer with the cord plugged in at a distance from her work area, and the extra pull on the cord disconnected it from the mixer unit, and that end fell into a bowl of frosting she was working across. Without thinking about where the other end was (plugged in to the wall), she pulled it out of the frosting and stuck it in her mouth to suck the frosting off of it. The shock was enough to throw her across the room, and leave her stunned for half an hour.

So I wondered, since she had put it in her mouth (thus negating the natural resistance our dry skin provides, because of her saliva), how much in both voltage (110) and amperage (?, and the measure that can indicate level of deadly shock, as we can take several thousand volts of electricity, if it's at very small amperage) did she suffer the results of?
Steve commented
I smell something fishy in this story that was related to you. LOL.
110 volts would break down to an even lower amperage. Don't think it would be enough to throw a person across the room, even with the saliva as a conductor.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I would be shocked that falling into a mixing bowl with presumably some form of liquid didn't trip a breaker or GFI if it was a protected circuit.     As far as the amperage. If it was "clean" power, meaning no other equipment (i.e refrigerator, lighting, radio, tv, etc.) were plugged in and in use she probably felt around 1-3 amps, on your tongue that would hurt like hell. If there were other items plugged in on the circuit and drawing any amperage that would affect how much she got...

Answer Question